Monday, November 15, 2010

Mouthwatering Monday

Current Blood sugar:   148

Today's Prompt: “Mouthwatering Monday” – Carrot sticks and potato chips have a similar crunch, but the similarities end there. What’s your favorite snack? 

My favorite snack?  This one is not hard at all.  For a salty snack I love mixed nuts.  They are low in carb and work well for satisfying my hunger and not wrecking my blood sugar.  I have recently started making my own roasted nuts, it's cheaper that way!   I also like to make sugar coated pecans using xylitol (natural, low carb sugar replacement).

For a sweet snack I like dark chocolate.  Sometimes I eat dark chocolate chips, sometimes it is a piece of an organic dark chocolate candy bar.  Dark chocolate is good for you in moderation and it is low in carbs, so it works well in my book!  I have also experimented with several recipes for sugar free cookies and brownies.  These generally turn out well and are low carb.  I tend to save making those for special occasions...they don't last long in our house! 

Here is a recipe for homemade roasted pecans and one for sugar coated pecans. 

Spicy Roasted Pecans
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
A dash of cumin
2 cups pecan halves and pieces

Preheat oven to 350°F. Melt butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add chili powder, salt and pepper and stir to blend. Remove from heat. Add pecans and stir to coat. Transfer to rimmed baking sheet. Bake until pecans are golden, about 8
minutes. Cool. Coarsely chop pecans. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.) from: http://www.angelfire.com/la3/gourmetkarl/spicedpecan.html 


or just use salt to taste if you prefer plain non-spicy pecans
 
Sugar Coated Pecans
this is a good link to a recipe I have done in the past that works.  Use whatever sugar replacement you like, if that is what fits your needs! 




No comments:

Post a Comment