Friday, May 18, 2012

You should know....D-Blog Week

Today's Prompt: “What is one thing you would tell someone that doesn’t have diabetes about living with diabetes?”

There are several things I feel like people should know about living with diabetes.  But, when it really comes down to it, the one thing I want people to know is...living with diabetes is harder than you can ever imagine.  Managing this disease takes time and strength.  Some days I don't have the time or strength.  Diabetes doesn't go away, I can't push it aside and forget about it.  It is emotionally draining.  It is always there in my thoughts, no matter what I am doing.  I think about it when I exercise, eat, sleep, and even when I am relaxing.  Sometimes it keeps me from doing things I love.  It creates anxiety when I plan trips, outings, meals, and holidays.  When I am invited to a party or a get-together, concert, show, game, etc....my first thought is what is there going to be for me to eat, should I bring my own food, what is my blood sugar doing?  What if there is not anything I can eat....what if my blood sugar drops low, what if it goes high?  Diabetes creates a constant chatter in my thoughts, one that I can never turn off.   

Multitasking is now my forte.  Math is my best friend (even though I am not all that good at it!).  Every minute of every day diabetes is in my thoughts.  It has to be, I wish I could take it all away but I can't.  That said, the truth is that eating, drinking, and sleeping diabetes means I am living with diabetes and being alive and staying alive makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment