Thursday, May 17, 2012

Fantasy Diabetes Device~D-Blog Week

Today's Prompt: Tell us what your Fantasy Diabetes Device would be?  Think of your dream blood glucose checker, delivery system for insulin or other meds, magic carb counter, etc etc etc.  The sky is the limit – what would you love to see?

To be honest, I am not really sure what my Fantasy Diabetes Device would be and I kind of had a hard time thinking of anything other than a cure that would make my life any easier.  I kind of feel like no matter what devices are developed they will just be better or more accurate versions of what is already out there.  Sure that would be awesome to have a better blood glucose meter, a better, smaller pump, better insulin and CGM's, but I guess I just feel like no matter how awesome the device, it is still not the same as an actual functioning pancreas.  Since my pancreas is not functioning anymore when it comes to producing insulin I feel like any device that would make my life better or easier would be great, but I figure it be much better to keep this from happening in the first place?

So, short of a cure, I guess my fantasy diabetes device would be some sort of protective device for those poor little insulin producing cells that get attacked by the immune system.  Like a wall or a moat around those cells, protecting them from attack and allowing them to continue to do their job.  I figure with this fantasy device, insulin producing cells could be saved and there would be no need for any other devices in the future.  A device that could stop diabetes in it's tracks and possibly reverse it.

Of course, this fantasy device would do no good for someone like me who already has Type 1, but wouldn't it be great to save any more people from the struggle of living with diabetes? 

1 comment:

  1. I totally get your sentiments, it's pretty much how I feel, too. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete