Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Always Room For Improvement~D-Blog Week

Today's Prompt: Yesterday we gave ourselves and our loved ones a big pat on the back for one thing we are great at.  Today let’s look at the flip-side.  We probably all have one thing we could try to do better.  Why not make today the day we start working on it.  No judgments, no scolding, just sharing one small thing we can improve so the DOC can cheer us on!

There are a lot of things in my life that I could try to do better and many of these are not related to my diabetes.  So when I read today's prompt and thought of all the things I wanted to improve on, I had a hard time blocking out the "non-diabetes" chatter and focusing on what I could do to improve my diabetes management.  
When I was first diagnosed, my Hubby could tell when my blood sugar was high because I was mean.  I would get so upset when I saw a high number on my meter.  And don't even think of coming near me if that high number appeared after a long workout.  I would take out my frustrations on him and anyone else who was around me.  A simple task such as helping me bring in the groceries became a blown up argument about how he NEVER helped me do anything.  Poor fellow, I am surprised he made it through those first few years (well, not really surprised because he is pretty amazing, but surprised that he was so tolerant).  Once things calmed down after the initial diagnosis, he learned to steer clear of me when my blood sugars were high and I began to learn to control my frustrations.  It wasn't anyone's fault (except sometimes mine for being careless) and I had to learn that over the last few years.

These days I don't get quite as upset when my blood sugar gets high after exercise or after I eat something that I expect will skyrocket my numbers.  But, I often find that I still get quite frustrated and upset when my blood sugar gets out of range for no foreseeable reason.  For example, the last few days I have been hovering in the upper 100's lower 200's and no amount of exercise, bolusing, etc seems to be changing that and it makes me mad and puts me in a foul mood.  

So, that is one thing I need to improve.  I need to give myself a break when my numbers are out of range.  Remind myself that all I can do is treat the high numbers, work on figuring out the cause and move on and not let it bring me down or get me upset, and I think I will start today!

No comments:

Post a Comment