Tuesday, May 15, 2012

One Great Thing~D-Blog Week

Today's Prompt: Living with diabetes (or caring for someone who lives with it) sure does take a lot of work, and it’s easy to be hard on ourselves if we aren’t “perfect”.  But today it’s time to give ourselves some much deserved credit.  Tell us about just one diabetes thing you (or your loved one) does spectacularly!  Fasting blood sugar checks, oral meds sorted and ready, something always on hand to treat a low, or anything that you do for diabetes.  Nothing is too big or too small to celebrate doing well! 

This is a difficult prompt because, well, having diabetes is tough and unpredictable and it's really hard to be awesome at managing something that is always throwing wrenches at you.  That said, I am pretty much a rule follower when it comes to taking care of my diabetes.  I always have supplies on hand, I check my blood sugar often, I eat right and exercise and I never skip a trip to the doctor.  I work really hard to maintain my diabetes but I guess I just don't feel like I am doing anything grand.  To me it just feels like doing what I have to do to be healthy.  

But, despite all the things I do to manage my diabetes, there are always times that I get knocked down.  Sometimes I feel like there are days where my diabetes is running me over with a truck and reversing it several times just to make sure I am really down for the count.  But I find that even on those days I can muster the strength to peel myself off the ground and find something good to focus on.  I always try to look at the other things in my life that are worth being healthy for and that helps me get through the tough days.  So I guess that is the one thing I do spectacularly when it comes to my diabetes.  When diabetes gets me down, I never let it keep me there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment