Thursday, January 13, 2011

Why needlework is a perfect hobby for a diabetic...

So I have been teaching myself to cross-stitch...well I should really say "re-teaching".  My mom used to cross-stitch and she taught me some things when I was little.  However, since it has probably been 25 years since I learned those tips, I have had to re-teach myself.  The lessons are going along swimmingly.  I am using a few books and referencing a few very helpful stitching websites and I have to say I have been quite pleased with some of my work.

I find the hardest thing to get used to is finding that groove where I can move the needle effortlessly through the fabric.  I am still in the stage of constantly undoing knots and untangling thread, taking out stitches and generally just mucking up most of my projects.

There is one thing I have found less of a nuisance than most folks who sew or stitch by hand.  I was in the fabric store the other day and was considering buying a thimble, you know to protect my fingers while I worked the needle.  Ironic, huh?  Why is this ironic you ask?  Well, I realized (like I could ever forget), I prick my finger 10 times a day....ON PURPOSE....to check my bloodsugar.  My fingertips are callused and tough and generally don't feel much pain anymore. 

That's when I knew that needlework was the perfect hobby for a diabetic.  I laugh in the face of needle pricks.  No thimble needed here, do your worst cross-stitch needle, do your worst!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Melissa--

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hey--I didn't think it was strange at all. In fact, I've been hoping for awhile that I might connect with someone from this area through Jenna's blog. I'd love to talk to you sometime about chickens and bees, etc. Drop me an email when you get a chance (fdowell@mindspring.com). Where are you in Durham? We're in Duke Forest, about five minutes from the university (though unaffiliated with it).

    Hope to hear from you--frances

    p.s. I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will suggest this to my grandmother and all of her friends!! No, seriously, cross-stitching, huh? That is impressive!

    BTW, as usual, you made me giggle with your Catpcha Balderdash word. You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops. Forgot to ask...do you mind coming back to vote for your favorite definition, when you get a chance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL this is so funny, I would have never imagined :D I just found your blog through the comment you left on my site. A backyard farm is such a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought of that that way, but you are right. When you prick your finger cross stitching, just check your sugar. lol

    ReplyDelete