Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sewing and Sowing

It seems like every time I sit down to write a post, I want to apologize for the radio silence.  I just haven't had much to talk about.  But the "eb" has now become a "flow.'  I have so much going on, so much I want to share,  I could talk for days about the long list of "to-do's" that sits before me.

As the weather has gotten warmer, I have found myself drawn to my sewing room with great inspiration to master the summer dress.  Last summer, I made a few "house dresses", simple sundresses I could wear around the house while gardening and canning.  They were great, but not so much the type of dresses I wanted to wear out of the house.  Remember this?


This dress, as well as the others I made came in handy last summer and will continue to be great for this summer's gardening and chores.

However, I am practicing my clothing making skills, with the hopes of producing dresses that have more detail and don't look as homemade.  I have also been working on altering a dress for my cousin's wedding.  It is this dress from Modcloth.  I am making it longer (my dang ol' long legs) by moving the ruffle to the bottom of the dress.  I have also made a few skirts.  Plus, I have some awesome knit fabric and a really cute pattern that I want to try.  My house is successfully covered in tiny bits of fabric and thread (I am really not sure how this happens, since I do have a dedicated sewing room)!  I will be sure to post pictures as projects are completed! 

In between sewing sessions I am working in the garden, preparing the soil.  This weekend marks the last threat of frost for us around here so I am sifting compost and planting seeds/seedlings on Saturday.  I am also making a much needed trip to the local apiary for beekeeping supplies.  Our bees are going crazy with the warm Spring and we are picking up another colony in a few weeks.  So there is a lot to do in the bee department...more on that later.

Somewhere in the midst of all this I am finding time to jump start a new exercise routine and do some Spring cleaning around the house.  Which includes finishing up painting and cleaning the Master bath construction project...pictures of that soon!

I would hate to leave you with my long list of things to do without some sort of clue that I have actually made some progress.  Here is a picture of my first "real" summer dress.  I made this last week using a combination of a shirt pattern for the bodice and a simple elastic skirt for the bottom.  I then added the ruffles and fabric covered buttons for details.  I wore this dress to church on Easter Sunday with a black sweater and of course my Frye boots!  It has a small hidden side pocket for my insulin pump.
 

1 comment:

  1. Phew, just reading your to-do list makes me want a nap. LOL I love your Easter dress, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete