Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Bees Knees

This morning, I picked up our very first package of honey bees from a local apiary near our house and headed home with a box of buzzing bees in the back of my car.  Our friend Walt who has worked bees before kindly offered to come over and help us install our bees into our hive.  Along with Walt, came his wife Kara, her Nana, and their three amazing cutie pie kids!  So not only did we get to install bees but we had a wonderful afternoon of visiting with our friends! 

So, donned in bee attire, Walt, my hubby and myself got the bees in the hive and hopefully they will continue to thrive and "bee" happy!  Here is the picture diary of our adventures!  What fun...and no one got stung! 


 Installing the Queen

Removing the top to the box o' bees!

Shaking the bees from the box!


Happy Bees!

2 comments:

  1. Oh how cool! I've never seen that done before. I would love to have some bees. But to be honest, I'm kind of afraid of getting stung. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I was a little nervous at first, but they were so not interested in us! Even yesterday as they were getting more "comfortable" they were not aggressive when we went into the hive to check on things! Of course we were using the smoke and gear! They are all over the yard but they don't seem to mind us :-) I am sure we will get stung soon enough!

    ReplyDelete